Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Open Subject Blog

I have to be honest and admit that I don't really know anything about blogging. I'm familiar with the term due to our modern day media networks, but my knowledge is quite scarce. Therefore, I am going to discuss how I became a student at UNH Manchester...

Let's begin four years ago when I was a freshman at Keene State College. I chose to attend this college for many reasons, but specifically because at this point in time I desired to become a teacher. Keene is known for their fantastic Teacher Education programs and I decided to pursue the major of Elementary Education (I felt I would enjoy teaching younger children as opposed to high school students because let's face it...they're easier!).

For the Spring 2007 semester I participated in the college's cross-country and track teams, which was difficult to say the least, yet I thoroughly enjoyed the exercise. This was a new, fun and exciting time in my life, especially for the reason that it was the first time I had some freedom from my parents :) In my sophomore year, I decided to quit the teams and focus directly on my studies; I wasn't sad over the matter because I knew it was the best thing for me to do at the time.

During second semester (spring 2009), I obtained my first car, after four years of having my license! I was excited, yet knew I had to begin prioritizing all aspects of my life. Having a car meant I had to be able to provide for the payments, insurance and gas. With this in mind, I chose to apply to UNH Manchester because this would locate me closer to home, which gave me the opportunity to work.

Fortunately, I got accepted into the university and started here in Fall 2009. I remained an Education major for only one semester because I lost my passion to teach after conducting fieldwork in the Manchester Public School District. The teachers I worked with did not seem happy and matter of fact, for the majority of the time they seemed to get little reward for their hard work. Observing this made me realize that I didn't want to set myself up for an unpromising career.

I was then introduced to the Communication Arts major offered at UNHM and immediately found a comfort zone within the discipline. I truly enjoy the broad areas that allow creativity amongst the field. I am currently a senior, but will not be graduating in the spring due to switching schools and majors. I plan to graduate next year, in the spring of 2012 with a Bachelor's degree in Communication Arts. I do not have a plan set for after I graduate, but that’ll all come in good time.





(Above) This is a picture of my boyfriend David and me. He supports my professional endeavors and is a major influence in my life.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan Sarah. Hope you enjoy your new Major and you find what your looking for.

    You bring up a real important observation here! Teachers are not happy, and their rewards are few. I believe teachers need to be re-evaluated in society as one of the most important resources that nurture future generations.

    Teachers should have smaller classrooms, be given an overabundant amount of supplies to work with, as well as better pay. They're truly teaching future senators, scientists, engineers, and teachers. As a leading country, don't we truly want the best leaders, artists and technicians that our education dollars can buy?

    No matter how much it may cost, education is the cheapest way we can advance our citizens in such a diverse economy. What would be wrong with making sure education is the first step to success for our kids? If our kids are worth it, then we should be uplifting our teachers to a better standard of appreciation. Giving teachers what they need and deserve, without regard to cost, would be a good first step.

    The more we invest in education, the cheaper it will be in the future to sustain the potential and opportunities we fail to afford our kids now. The quality of life for every child should have at least an education that begins to fill dreams and can lead to even higher goals. Knowledge is the key to long term wealth. All kids deserve equanimity, fairness, liberty, and opportunity. Education does more than feed students; it nourishes minds with the wisdom to meet life's challenge.

    My daughter Sarah is going to school for teaching, and I have unsuccessfully (because of the low wages) tried to talk her away from it. So far she hasn't changed her mind.

    Thanks Sarah, and good luck (to both of you)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you claimed you knew nothing about blogging, it seems that you do know a great deal after reading this.

    I don't know if you were paying attention when the Boston Celtics won against the Lakers back in 2008, but remember these words from Kevin Garnett: "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!"

    If you have your mind set on it, it can be done. On that note, I wish you the best! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, it's better not to have a plan. Thinking too much about it can ruin a better opportunity in the future. The right answer will come to you when you stop searching. Sounds like you are in the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am actually an Education minor, and I wish I knew I didn't want to teach 3 years ago. I am about to graduate, and here I am. Where do I go from here? Luckily, I am also a Psychology major and have that to fall back on. I agree, just live life. Things will work itself out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I had a very similar experience when I did my Ed 500 class...I was at Beech Street School in Manchester and the teachers all seemed over worked and under paid. None of the teachers that I came in to contact with really enjoyed their career choices and seemed to be doing it just because it was the path that they had already started on.
    With that being said, I am completing an Education minor and want to go into the school systems. I have definitely learned that I do not want to teach though! I know it's not right for me but I am glad that some people have the passion for it, otherwise we would have no one to educate all of the kids that are in schools now.
    I think that you will find something that really grabs your interest, even though it may not seem it now. Atleast you have realized that it is not teaching that you want to get into now instead of four years and a degree into it. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely made a smart, mature decision when you switched majors after realizing you didn't want to settle for a potentially disappointing career. Even though you were a third year student, you decided to change majors, which can be very challenging at the point in your student career, but you seem to be happy and comfortable with your decision. I'll also be a fifth year senior and graduating with you next May :)

    ReplyDelete